Saturday, July 26, 2008

Welcome to the blob

Hi, welcome to my blob. No that’s not some kind of spelling mistake, I’m actually calling this a blob. Why? Why not? Actually when I tell you the reason for this blob, it should all make sense.

I’m fat, not just your average kind of overweight fat, but really fat! Whilst not entirely my fault, I’ve certainly not done anything to remedy the situation. Back in high school I was actually on my way to becoming a professional dancer. I’d approached all the big dance schools in the UK, attended dance training classes, and even sorted out a coach for my audition pieces. Then, in the space of a few months, I had a really bad horse riding accident, followed by a fall where I tore all the ligaments in my left ankle. No more dancing for me!

So I went off in a different direction, plodding along quite nicely, and everything seemed just the same. However, after a few months, when buying new clothes, I had to buy a size bigger, then bigger… then bigger still. Although I was still eating all the same foods in the same quantities, I wasn’t doing NEARLY the amount of exercise that I had been.

Now because I simply can’t be told anything, or can’t do anything until I want to do it, I’ve let this situation become totally out of hand. This is about to change.

In the past I’ve been a smoker. One of the things I’ve always prided myself on (although how proud of this I should be I’m not sure) is that I’ve always just been able to stop smoking. Sure I’ve started again a couple of years down the track, but once I decide to stop I just stop. It’s always been a case of mind over matter. Yet whenever I’ve tried to do the same in terms of diets and exercising 2 weeks seems to be my limit. I read somewhere once that it only takes 21 days to make a habit. I’ve never managed to make it 21 days with any kind of diet or exercise regime – ever!!

I had this conversation with a friend of mine recently and she couldn’t understand how I could just stop smoking, but couldn’t get my fat arse off the sofa and do some exercise. I managed to use one of my standard excuses (there’s so many I can’t remember them all!) and fobbed her off. Days later I was still thinking about this conversation. Why is it that I can just decide to do something and do it without further ado, yet there are other things that I simply seem to give up on? Am I really such a self defeatist?? I’m about to find out.

On the 21st of July 2008 I began training… I’m training to complete the Gold Coast Marathon in 2009. Now those of you out there who are more astute than some people may have noticed that I’m training to complete the marathon as opposed to running it. Lets not get ideas above my station here. There’s no way I can go from stationary blob to marathon buff in less than a year. Do you think I’m crazy? Nope I’m not. I’m not going to try and run the whole marathon – simply get round it. So there you have it. The grand plan. Complete the Gold Coast Marathon 2009.

the blob - to the finish line, and beyond...

No comments: