Thursday, July 31, 2008

Week Tw0, Day Four - Thursday

Sorry to one and all - it's been a bit quiet this week! I've got end of semester exams coming up at uni and I've actually realised that I need to do some work for them. Duh!!!



So here's a couple of days update into one...


Tuesday - Cycling 20mins
I don't like the grips on the exercise bike, I actually think they're beginning to hurt my hands. It's not from gripping too tightly I just think the bike is designed so badly that it doesn't matter what height you adjust it to, you end up putting a decent amount of weight on your hands and arms. Shoulders and arms are doing fine, but the hands hurt!


Cycling was easy. I've been trying to jazz it up a bit to see if I can make it more exciting for myself - I can't! Never mind, I'll stick with it for the time being because I've only got a couple more weeks of doing it twice a week and then it's only once a week.


Beelzebub and Pups were outside again. I wasn't presented with balls this time, but what appeared to be a half eaten lizard... nice!! Apparently cats bring you presents (ie dead mice) because they think you're lacking something in your diet. If it works the same with dogs then mine seem to think I need to eat more lizard! I think not!




Wednesday - Run/walk 30secs/4mins 30 secs
I managed about 15 minutes walking and 2 runs before I turned around and came home. I went out earlier than usual and there were heaps of cars around and what looked like a mid week party going on in one house. It was too busy for me. Plus I think I had too many layers of clothes on. I thought it was quite cold outside so I layered up as I did for the last run, but it was actually warmer than I thought and I was wearing too much. Can't wait for it to get a tiny bit warmer so I can wear my shorts and technical tshirt (more on those later!) without having to think about getting too hot/cold


Just as I decided to go home I had a car pull onto the road I was on, put their lights on fullbeam, and drive very slowly towards me and then as soon as they'd past me they sped off. I'm sure I heard them laughing...


I got quite angry/upset at that but, with an ABBA inspired epiphany I thought "f*ck you dude, Imight be wobbling all over the road, but at least I'm out here giving it a go. When was the last time you went out for a run?" Knowing my luck it'll have been some bloody olympic athlete or something!!!




Thursday - Should have been cycling, but I did the run/walk thing instead!
Since I didn't finish last nights scheduled run/walk, I dropped the cycle and did it tonight instead. It went ok, although I've learnt a few lessons about clothing and footwear.


1) Technical Tshirts are a g-dsend! They allow the moisture and heat from your body to escape, without letting you get too cold or keeping you too warm. They've not got seams in the same place as normal tshirts so you don't get rubbing under your arms. I heart my technical tshirts
2) If you're wearing technical tshirts there is no need for a singlet underneath. I was searing this skin tight singlet thing and it's just not allowing the tshirts to do their job. I'm not wearing it for running again!
3) Socks should be a pair and should be long enough to stay over the tops of your shoes so you don't get blisters or rubbing round the ankles. Thankfully it's not happened yet although tonight I was wearing odd socks and one of them fell down a bit and I could feel a spot on my heel getting a bit irritated.


Tonight was quite an exciting little jaunt because I was wearing my NEW SHOES!!!!! Yes, I went shopping tonight. I had an old pair of New Balance shoes but they were a bit tight and didn't feel very good for running in. HID has a pair of Saucony trainers that I've been running in. They fit really well but I'd decided that I was looking for a pair with a bit more cushioning.


So I trotted off to The Athletes Foot (Note to US/CAN/UK readers - over here athletes foot is a sports shoe shop, and not a fungal infection you get between your toes. In Australia we call that athletes foot 'tinea'. Yah, I agreed - f*cked up!) and picked up a pair of Brooks Ghost. Seems they've only been available for a couple of weeks!! They look like this...






They feel great - plenty of cushioning in all the right places. In saying that after running in them tonight I need to wear them about town for a few days to break them in a bit. They're not the prettiest shoes around (well I don't think so) but out of the 3 I tried on in the shop these ones felt the best. At the end of the day I'm not running a fashion show, just a marathon (just... HA!).


I also picked up a new technical tshirt. I got a short sleeved one for under the long sleeved one I've already got. I'd show you a picture but it's really not that exciting. It's blue - the kiwi would tell you to expect nothing less. Blue is, apparently, my colour!


Tomorrow is my night off, and then saturday is my last 30second run. hopefully I'll get a post up some time over the weekend.


Keep the comments coming - it lets me know my procrastination is not wasted!




the blob - to the finish line, and beyond...

1 comment:

Amanda said...

And here I thought it was just the Koreans messing up English when I saw the Athlete's Foot stores!